Planning for the Future

Starting by age 14, your child's IEP includes plans for the transition from high school to employment, higher education, and/or community supports. Your child will be asked what they hope for in their future. Have conversations with your child about their plans and dreams ahead of this time. No matter your child’s abilities, it is important to consider their needs, interests, and the skills needed to live as independently as possible. Contact your campus transition program specialist to assist you in accessing transition information and community resources.

In planning for your child’s future, consider these:

  • Contact community agencies to access services and prepare for your child’s future needs by placing their name on interest lists for services. Do this today. Interest lists are often years long; more information is included here.

  • Nurture your child’s strengths and interests; these often lead to a course of study or vocation, while serving to increase their self-esteem. Help your child learn and practice appropriate interpersonal communication and social skills for different settings (employment, school, recreation, etc.). Find opportunities in your community for social activities. Early recreational and leisure activity skills are important parts of creating a happy, independent future.

  • Create daily routines and encourage your child’s independence. This is paramount. Teach, support and praise your child’s efforts to independently dress, toilet, prepare simple meals, care for their belongings, and perform age-appropriate chores. Their ability to independently meet their needs may very well determine their path. Start early, set realistic expectations, and create goals that are purposefully monitored.

  • Develop a financial plan with professionals who understand planning for individuals with special needs. Familiarize yourself with special needs trusts, guardianship, and wills. If your child accesses state-funded services, there are many guidelines that must be followed. Not doing so may result in your child losing their benefits. 

  • FISD Services & Programming

State-Based Services & Resources

Transition Resources

Financial Planning/Guardianship