Skip To The Main Content

Early History

  • 1850-1935
  • Robertson School

Located three miles west of Frisco, a crude one-room school house was one of the earliest known in the area. It was eventually replaced with a two-room school house.

Local lore records that the James Gang once stopped to water their horses at the school’s well. The teacher told the students to keep their heads down and not to look out the window.

Small wood frame building with simple homemade desks.

First conducted in the home of Miss Miranda Bass. The Bass School was under the jurisdiction of the Farmers' School district of Collin County which was organized in 1876. The building burned in 1878 but was promptly rebuilt.

  • 18//-1939
  • Bush School

A red brick building with a wide hall running from north to south. The south room was an apartment for married teachers. A long tin shed was built by the parents for the children's horses to be sheltered from the weather.

Bush School was in the Collin County School District. The school has eight grades. Miss Bessie (Ely) Gunstream taught the first three grades, and her brother, Laurence, taught the upper five grades. Bessie Gunstream Elementary School was opened in Frisco in 2002.

A three room wooden building.

Student enrollment in 1876 was 30. The Hackberry School was eventually consolidated with Little Elm ISD.

  • 1875-1948
  • Lebanon School

Originally a two-story wood-frame building replaced by a one-story building sometime in the 1920s. The later building had two rooms with a potbelly coal stove in each room.

It was sometimes referred to as Union School and was renowned in the area. It was consolidated with Frisco ISD in 1948. Classes were taught through the seventh grade.

Formerly the Bass School. The school house was moved from it's original location on the Bass farm to the James Sidney Howard farm. In 1902, the school building was sold and moved to the eastern section of Frisco. The Frisco Public School was built in its place.

  • 1897-1920
  • Erudia School

Photo: The May 13, 1910 minutes from the Denton County Commissioner's Court.

A long, one room, wood frame building.

Six grades were taught in one room. Erudia School was in the Collin County School District. Ruth (McCormick) Borchardt attended Erudia School in 1918. Ruth Borchardt Elementary School was opened in Frisco in 2001.

A two-story, four-room frame building.

Frisco Public School replaced the original one-room (Howard) school house. It was in the Collin County School District.

  • 1902
  • First Lots Sold

Frisco sells their first lots in February. The town was first called Emerson, but a post office issue caused it to take the name of the railroad and become Frisco.

Photo: Frisco Public School students circa 1905.

The school district was reorganized as the Frisco Independent School District.

  • 1908
  • First Municipal Government

The town’s first physician, Dr. I.S. Rogers, served as the first mayor. Rogers Elementary is named for him.

Looking west from Third and Main Street in 1908.

  • 1912-1937
  • Frisco Public School

A three-story brick building containing eight classrooms and a superintendent's office.

Frisco Public School was the first school built after the Frisco School District was formed. The school did not have indoor restrooms. Outhouses were located on the north side of the building. The building was torn down in 1937 to make room for a new larger school to be built on the same site.

Photo: The circus came to town in 1924.

The population stayed the same for almost 30 years.

  • 1922-
  • Frisco High School

Two-story, red brick building with six classrooms and a large Study hall. It was heated by coal.

The graduating class of 1932 had six girls and eighteen boys. In 1997 the building was renovated and currently serves as the Student Opportunity Center.

One room, wood frame building with no electricity, no running water and outside toilets. It was heated by wood stove.

Before integration, Hamilton served as the school for Frisco's African-American children. Portia Taylor taught for many years at Hamilton. In 2006, Portia Ross Taylor Elementary School was opened. On August 31, 1964, the school board voted to integrate Frisco High School and Hamilton School was no longer used.

  • 1939-
  • Frisco High School

A new school was built to serve all Frisco students. The three-story building on Maple Street was demolished to make room for the new construction.

A descendant of pioneer Z.T. Acker donated land on Hickory Street for a new school. Acker was the city's first elementary school.

  • 1973-
  • Frisco High School

Photo: The 1973 Frisco High School yearbook.

The 1973 High School was built on land once owned by Frank Parks. It was built behind the old Maple Street Campus. It remained the high school until the current campus was built. It was remodeled and made into Staley Middle School.

Your browser is out-of-date.

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now

At this time the Frisco ISD website requires Internet Explorer 9 or later.

If you are on IE 9 or later and are seeing this error then your browser may be running as a previous version.

×