The 2018 year begins with high hopes and expectations for Frisco ISD sports teams. Here’s a look at some of FISD’s athletic achievements during the 2017 calendar year:
(All competition in Class 5A):
* The Frisco girls swimming and diving team finished third in state and the Frisco boys finished fifth. The Frisco girls 200 medley relay won a state title, as did Frisco’s boys 200 freestyle relay. Reedy’s Abby Koczo won the 100 backstroke title.
* The Liberty girls wrestling team finished second in state, and Liberty’s Martha Moore won the state title in the 119-pound weight class. Heritage’s Astrid Silva won the 138-pound class.
* The Centennial boys wrestling team finished third in state and Liberty was fourth. Centennial’s Gregory Coapstick won the state title at 113 pounds and Noah Sims won the title at 220 pounds.
* The Liberty girls basketball team advanced to the regional final. It lost 53-47 to Mansfield Timberview, which finished as the state runner-up.
* The Wakeland boys soccer team won the state title and outscored its two state-tourney opponents 8-0.
* The Liberty girls golf team finished fourth in state and the Wakeland girls were ninth.
* The Liberty girls track team finished eighth in state and the boys were 10th.
* The Wakeland baseball team advanced to the state semifinals. Wakeland lost 3-2 to Port Neches-Groves, which went on to win the state title.
* The Liberty girls cross country team won the state title.
* The Lone Star football team advanced to a regional final.