blue spacer

FISD Board Names New Schools for 2007, Service Center (March, 2006)

Robertson School – Sunset Pointe elementary site
Before the Frisco ISD began more than 100 years ago, the children of the pioneer families received their education in one and two-room schoolhouses throughout this area – there were up to 12 of them at any given time. Many were established in the late 1800s and some were operational up until the late 40s for grade school. The earliest school established was the Robertson School around the year 1850; it was located about three miles west of Frisco at the intersection of what is now Main Street and Twin Falls Drive. At some point this crude structure closed and James and Mary Robertson hired a teacher for their children and invited other children in the community to attend classes in their home. In 1884, A.W. Robertson (brother to James) sold a plot of land to the Trustees of the Denton County School District 48 for the sum of $1. (As a side note, another Robertson brother, Addison, is who Addison, Texas, is named for.) A second school was built on this land, which measured smaller than the playing surface of a football field. In 1909, the second school and land were sold and a new plot was purchased from J. R. Newman for $20. A new two-room frame building was built with a wood-burning heater in each room. The school was in operation until 1935; at that time the students entered school in the Frisco ISD. The most students who ever attended at one time occurred in 1930 – there were approximately 30 students (through fifth grade) with two teachers. A story recorded by former student Noah White brings Hollywood to life at the Robertson School. He recounted that one day a group of men rode up to water their horses. The teacher told the students to not look out the window and keep working on their studies. When the horseman rode away, she told the children the riders had been the notorious Jesse James Gang. Schools then were as they are now, the hub of the community. Robertson School was the center of the farming community and was the site for school plays and box suppers. It was the primary school for many of Frisco’s oldest families, such as the late Frisco Mayor J.C. Grant attended, the Newman children, the Stark brothers and sisters, and the Smotherman children. Genevieve “Sis” Kerley has often recounted how during bad weather, the Newman family would take in those who couldn’t make it home, providing supper and a place to sleep until the muddy roads were passable again. Children brought their lunch to school wrapped in newspaper or in pails, they washed with lye soap and many rode horses to school. Times were simpler, but the importance of an education was still a driving force. Naming an elementary school after this early settler school pays tribute to those pioneer days of education in this area.

Reba Cobb Carroll Elementary – near King’s Garden and Shaddock development
Everyone knows that Reba Cobb Carroll loves Frisco and the Frisco ISD because she shows it. For 30 years she was a leading ambassador for the school system – one of the first persons people moving to the area would talk to or meet. She made a warm impression that added to that small-town friendly feeling that attracted newcomers and kept others here. Reba was born in Frisco in 1932 and attended Frisco schools, graduating in 1949. She loved her school experiences and after graduation she married Joe Carroll in the fall of 1949. Children Debbie and Danny came along in the 50s and as they entered elementary school Reba became active in the Frisco Parent Teacher Association, serving as Vice-President and as President for two years each. She is proud to have been honored as a life member of the PTA. Reba also served as President of the First Band-Aide Club for the newly formed Frisco High School Band, in which Debbie was a member. Reba then began working for the Frisco Independent School District - first as the Secretary to Acker Elementary Principal Mr. Bert Isbell. Later, she transferred to the Frisco Middle School and then to Frisco High School. In 1978, she made the final advancement of her career to become Secretary to the Superintendent of Schools, Dr. Justin Wakeland. Together they started the very popular senior citizen’s lunch that continues today. Dr. Wakeland retired in 1997 and she worked for Dr. Reedy during his first year as Superintendent, retiring in 1998 at the age of sixty-five. Her legacy of service continues as Debbie has worked for the Frisco ISD for over twenty years as a teacher, counselor, and principal at Rogers Elementary School and at Curtsinger Elementary School. Danny, serves as the Operations Manager for the City of Frisco and his wife, Kim, works in the FISD technology department at Staley Middle School. Their three grandchildren have been active FISD students as well.

Charlie and Charlotte Mooneyham Elementary School –Heights of Westridge site
Charlie and Charlotte Mooneyham spent the majority of their teaching and administrative careers devoted to students in the Frisco Independent School District, giving a combined total of 64 years to the schools and the community. Charlotte taught reading and history, served as principal of Acker Elementary School for 11 years and also served as the gifted coordinator. Charlie has always loved sports and spent many years as a coach, physical education teacher and a loving mentor to students who faced challenges. Charlie served as Frisco Middle School principal for seven years, and also made students smile as their P.E. teacher at Acker. Both are still actively involved with students and learning. In 2005, Charlotte received her doctorate degree and now works part time for the Child and Family Resource Clinic at the University of North Texas College of Education, along with teaching graduate level classes for the university and supervising interns in an alternative certification program for special education. Charlie can still be heard as the “voice of FISD” or clock keeper at many middle school sporting events. He has taken a very active role in the Association of Frisco Retired School Personnel and they are also members of the Frisco Heritage Association, Denton County Historical Association and the Choctaw Nation. Their children Daniel and Mari both attended Frisco schools from kindergarten through graduation. Mari is a teacher and coach in FISD and Daniel taught at Tulane and Loyola Universities in New Orleans before being displaced by the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. The Mooneyhams have truly been part of building a legacy of learners and leaders.

Sam Carter Service Center
Sam Carter was a beloved custodian in FISD from 1942 until 1957. When he began his job before school started in 1942, he soon learned that sweeping floors was the least responsibility of the school custodian. He was an integral part of the school system and teachers who worked with him at the time say that he always stood ready and willing to help the students and the teachers in any task at hand. His kind, easy way had a great positive influence on the students; he helped redirect misbehavior without being abrupt. He could be seen helping the youngest students carry their lunch trays to their tables during the day and then later at all of the various activities throughout the year – football and basketball games, plays, and so forth. Mr. Carter left his imprint on far more than just the school’s floors and windows. He helped school personnel develop children into young men and women. He was regarded highly by all his fellow workers, teachers, superintendents (he worked with 5!), board members, students and friends. He was born in 1878 and died in 1961. He was a farmer prior to taking the job as custodian at the age of 64; he was 79 when he retired due to failing health. His son J.D. graduated from FHS in 1944 and is married to Martha Ann Hill of Frisco. They live in Grand Prairie.